"Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun".
Mary Lou Cook
We believe in fostering and encouraging all student's creativity, confidence, self-expression, whilst also developing art skills to a high level.
We aim to develop the skills necessary to enjoy Art to its full and to maximise student's potential in it through:
- The development of the knowledge, skills and understanding of art themes and techniques.
- Acquiring, selecting and applying art techniques to solve problems appropriate to the information and context.
- The aim is for all students to be autonomous, so the level of support and content is adjusted through KS3-5, as students become more autonomous.
- The art department provides opportunities for exploring social and cultural diversity through the study of issues that shape our own lives, our community, beliefs, and the wider forces of globalisation in all areas of art and Design. Students are given opportunities to understand and engage with their own lives and identities, so that they are better able to understand and contextualize the lives of others.
- Literacy skills are essential for progress within the Art curriculum. We recognise that student’s progress and attainment can be raised by further developing their reading, writing, listening and communication skills.
- The art department have produced resources to develop and reinforce literacy skills at KS3 & KS4.